Each year, thousands of Bashers come together to celebrate good music and good times on the Mundi Mundi Plains in the Aussie Outback.
Sustainability is at the heart of the bash ethos, and we are always looking for ways to reduce our environmental impact on the beautiful land on which the event takes place. Here are just some of the ways we do it!
We use hygienic odourless composting toilets at the Bash rather than chemical portaloos. They eliminate our water use, don’t smell, and under the watchful eye of our volunteer ‘dunny angels’ they will always be squeaky clean.
Why we love our loos:
- No water (or transport of) needed for flushing, saving over 140,000 litres of water for each event
- Drastically reduced emissions needed for transport of sewage
- Only environmentally sound cleaning products are used – no bleaches, formaldehyde or other chemicals
- Within a year the dry compost is given to nearby farmers to fertilise their land
How do they work?
- For your number ones, nothing changes
- For your number twos, simply cover it up with one scoop of sawdust
- As you leave the toilet block, use the hand sanitiser pump pack to clean your hands
CAN & PET PLASTIC BOTTLE Recycling
Everyone likes to relax by the fire with a tinny after a long day. At the Bash, where glass is prohibited (except in your camp kitchen), we see a lot of cans. In fact, we estimate that over half of the rubbish we generate is cans.
At the 2023 Bash, we collected over 200,000 aluminium cans which equates to over 19 tonnes… That’s a lot of cans kept out of landfill!
We also separate PET plastic bottles for recycling – just remember to remove the lids! In 2023 we recycled over 27,000 plastic bottles!
So when you’re at the Bash, please collect your cans and PET plastic bottles, and drop them in the separate recycling bins.
Composting Food Waste
You can compost your food waste at the Bash! Collect it in camp and bring it to the food waste bins outside the toilet blocks in the campground.
We also encourage all food vendors to separate their food waste and put it in the food waste bins provided.
Crew Reducing our Impact
- The volunteer hang-out tent is now plastic cup free.
- All food waste from the crew kitchen is composted in provided bins at the Bash.
- Our food vendors contribute by using eco-friendly packaging for all meals.
We encourage all patrons to help keep the outback clean by reducing your rubbish:
- Bring your own reusable coffee cups, drink bottles and shopping bags to use at Mundiville instead of plastic disposable items
- Remove any unnecessary packaging from groceries and items before you leave town.